Main Menu

My Booking

Main Menu

About Us

Main Menu


Driver`s License

Drivers from non-European Union nations will be allowed to drive in Italy on two conditions. They must apply for an International Driving Permit and carry it with them while in Italy, and their official driver`s license from the United States must be accompanied with a certified translation. A certified translation must come from a person whose occupation is `translator`, preferably from a translation agency. You should ask for the translator or translation agency to provide a letter which states that the translation of the license is accurate to the best of their abilities and knowledge, and they must sign it. It is not required for this letter to be notarized, but if you can find someone to notarize the document, it would be preferred.


Third-party personal insurance is mandatory for all drivers in Italy. Full coverage is optional but not required. Copies of the insurance policy must be carried in the car at all times.


Drivers who require contact lenses or glasses in their home country must wear them while driving in Italy as well. Spare pairs are not required but you should bring a spare pair anyway in case you misplace your original pair.

Warning Triangles and Visibility Vests

Reflective vests and warning triangles are required to be carried in every car in Italy. You must wear the vests when broken down or stalled on the side of the road, and you must use the warning triangle to alert drivers to your predicament. On-the-spot checks do occur from time to time and violators must pay hefty fines. Inquire with your car rental company before leaving the lot about warning triangles and reflective vests; in the event that the company doesn`t include these items automatically, they will let you know where you can rent or purchase these items. A spare tire and headlamp beam deflectors (manual or stickers) are also required.

Spare Bulbs

A spare bulb kit is recommended for drivers in Italy, but is not required. You can ask your car rental company about spare bulbs upon arrival.

Snow Chains

Snow chains are required in colder areas and in higher elevations, usually from October 15 or November 15 (depending on the region) through to April 15. Certain jurisdictions have different rules, so it is imperative that you do your homework in advance. Ask your car rental company about snow chains and snow chain rules if you will be traveling in the northern and central mountains during the winter.


- A fire extinguisher (recommended)
- A first-aid kit (recommended)
- Headlamp converters, stickers on the headlights to reduce glare for drivers coming from the other direction. Ask the car rental company if you need stickers or if you need to adjust the headlamps manually.

For medical emergencies, ambulances can be summoned by dialing 118. (113 also works if 118, for whatever reason, does not.) The police can be summoned by dialing 112. The fire department can be reached by dialing 115. The ACI (Italian Automobile Club) can be reached by dialing 116.