Autumn (September - November)
Autumn is a wonderful time to visit Germany when the temperatures start to cool off. September and October can still see warm days while in November the temperatures begin to drop more dramatically. Expect average lows of 49ºF in September and 34ºF in November and average highs of 67ºF in September and 47ºF in November. Cold and rainy days are common during this time.
The summer crowds return home and local wine festivals are in full swing, with fall colors in full force. This is also when you`ll start to see hotel and airfares rates drop. The only exception to this drop is if you visit during Oktoberfest in Munich, held at the end of September. This brings over 6 million visitors to the city and accommodation prices skyrocket. Christmas markets also begin to spring up all over Germany starting in November which brings an increase in visitors.
Events and Festivals
- Oktoberfest, Munich - Late September and early October
- International Book Fair, Frankfurt - October
- Spielzeit`europa, Festspiele - 4 months October to January
- Jazz-Fest, Berlin - November
- Winter Dom, Hamburg (annual amusement fair) - Early November to early December